Sisekho Sako – Director Infrastructure Planning and Development
Infrastructure Planning and Development (IP&D) department is primarily entrusted to deliver basic service such as household electrification; maintenance of electricity networks; Road construction and maintenance; and the construction of public amenities such as community halls, sport-fields and recreational facilities. IP&D is politically led by Portfolio Head Councillor Simphiwe Mdoda and administratively led by Sisekho Sako with the assistance of Manager Electricity- Luyanda Rozani, Manager Building and Civil Works – Gavin Hall and Manager Project Management Unit – Vacant Position. The department is responsible for the following sections:-
- Project management Unit
- Roads and storm water management.
- Electricity distribution for Ugie and Maclear towns.
- Building inspectorate
Project Management Unit (PMU)
This section is primarily responsible for the integration, co-ordination, project-management and financially administration of capital infrastructure related projects. Purpose of the unit is to plan, budget, manage (projects and finances) and implement MIG funded projects and any other infrastructure related projects delegated to the unit. The unit is working towards eradicating infrastructure backlogs.
Functions of the PMU:
- To plan and implement capital projects in an effective an efficient way; and without compromising costs, time and quality.
- To identify and register MIG funded projects.
- To ensure that the three year capital implementation plan is Council approved and implemented.
- To establish and administer contracts with contractors and consultants.
- Responsible for the administration, project and financial management of MIG funded projects and from other sources of funding
- Ensuring project management administrative functions, from project registration and evaluation through to final project completion reports, are taken care of.
- The facilitation of backlog studies and environmental impact assessments of projects when necessary.
- To ensure implementation of the EPWP principles on capital projects and promote labour intensive construction methods as means of job creation.
Roads and storm-water management
The section is primarily responsible for roads and storm water maintenance. Similarly, the section is responsible for the municipal plant and machinery. The municipality owns a construction grader, a maintenance grader, 2 TLBs, 3 articulated dump trucks, an articulated water tanker, an excavator, a vibratory smooth roller with a pad foot kit.
- Preparation of roads and storm water maintenance schedule and its implementation
- Management of municipal plant and machinery
- Evaluation of roads and storm water facilities
The municipality has a distribution license for Ugie and Maclear. The core function is the installation, operation and maintenance of electrical infrastructure. The section manages electricity losses through its revenue protection unit.
- Implementation of rural electrification Programme
- Refurbishment and replacement of aging electrical infrastructure.
- Supply, installation and maintenance of Low Pressure Solar Water Heating systems to households
- Smart Grid and off grid initiatives
This is a unit within the Buildings and Civil Works section. It is responsible for quality management that will result in safe and aesthetically pleasing structures within Elundini Towns in the interest of both the municipality, property owners and investors. As a means to achieving this, the unit ensures compliance with the applicable legislation and regulations, compliance with the public Health and Safety requirements and ensures that appropriate enforcement action is initiated in instances of non-compliance of the aforementioned. The addition of the Human Settlements component within the unit ensures that the goals of sustainable human settlements are met and delivered to beneficiaries.
- Approval of building plans
- Conducting inspections
- Issuing of occupancy certificates
- Attending to complaints
- Dealing with contraventions
- Compiling of the housing needs register
- Facilitation of human settlements activities